Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lady Before She Went GaGa


More news on pop artists? I have been inspired to do a short write-up about Lady GaGa after watching a pre-GaGa video of her performing. The video features Stefani Germanotta, now known as Lady Gaga, performing at Ultraviolet Live, NYU's annual talent show. I know a lot of people who like Lady GaGa but I have always been vociferous about my distaste for her. This video doesn't make me enjoy her Lady GaGa persona any more but it does help me respect her as a musician and displays the immense potential that she had. Unfortunately, said talent has been squandered on an extremely gimmicky image and overproduced accompaniments. The following performance encapsulates the incredible songwriting and unbridled musicianship she is capable of. If only, she decided to revert back to this style. I guess whatever sells records…



She brings some of this back with acoustic versions of her familiar pop tunes on The Cherrytree Sessions EP linked below. The stripped-down version of "Poker Face" is also sampled in the Kid Cudi song "Make Her Say" also located below. The track was originally entitled "I Poke Her Face" (ha!) and features Kanye West, who also produced the track, and Common.

DOWNLOAD

Kid Cudi – "Make Her Say"

No comments:

Post a Comment