Monday, August 2, 2010

I Must Dance Alone at TT The Bear’s


I first got to know about MiniBoone when I reviewed their debut EP Big Changes for DecoyMusic.com. They quickly became one of my favorite bands that I discovered this year and I’ve been spinning tracks like “Summer Jam” and “Rosalina Must Dance Alone” endlessly. The first time they came to town earlier this year, I was sick and, despite my best efforts, I couldn’t make it out to see them. I made sure that I dragged myself to the show on Sunday, July 11, 2010 despite an exceptionally raucous weekend. Let’s just say if you ever think about taking a last minute trip to New York City and the thought crosses your mind that “this is probably a bad idea”, go with that instinct.

I Have Ears opened for MiniBoone [weird phrase] and presented themselves as a very solid rock band. I had not previously heard of them but they reminded me of a light/American version of Arctic Monkeys. They played a set of short, catchy rock songs with adequate precision. I was most impressed by their lead guitarist who got some great sounds out of his guitar. The song that stuck out most was a twangy mid-paced tune that captured my attention from start to finish. I will definitely have my eyes open for them in the future [see what I did there?]. Listen to their latest EP, the ever-changing osom demo, with the player below and visit their bandcamp page to hear all their music.

<a href="http://ihaveears.com/album/osom-demo">EURO K by i have ears</a>

MiniBoone opened with “Funny Money” which, despite being the last track on their EP, served as the perfect way to kick off the show. The song had a slow build that ended in a thunderous celebration. Fun and energy are two words that I don’t think you could avoid using when reviewing a MiniBoone show. Every member was contributing vocals, playing their heart out, and flailing about on stage. It was entertainment at it’s best. They even kept things interesting with a long, funky cover of James Brown’s “Living in America.

“Cool Kids Cut Out of the Heart Itself” was a definitely standout with the singer screaming the rapid verses and choruses as if he was about to explode. I always appreciate when a band pours that much emotion into a performance and the rest of the audience did as well, giving them a warm applause after every song. “Rosalina Must Dance Alone”, my personal favorite of theirs, started with a melodica and displayed their penchant for creative and diverse songwriting. The set ended with “Devil in Your Eyes” and some jammy noise; a fitting end to an enjoyable set. MiniBoone put on one of the best performances for an up-and-coming group that I saw this year and I highly recommend checking them out if you get a chance. You can listen to Big Changes with the player below and also check out my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment