Friday, January 27, 2012

Stream: Unknown Mortal Orchestra + Videos


I'm playing catch up with this release. Unknown Mortal Orchestra were featured on a significant amount of year-end lists for 2011 yet I managed to elude them until now. This is definitely a case of better late than never. To be quite honest, the lo-fi production approach was starting to wear on me until I heard these guys. Unknown Mortal Orchestra utilizes grainy production in a way where it almost seems like a member of the band. On tracks like the irresistible single "Ffunny Ffrends", there is an odd cohesion created by the murky sound that holds all the elements together. The guitar playing is impressive throughout with some solos even poking out in songs like the amusing "Thought Ballune". Perhaps my favorite, "Jello and Juggernauts" stands out from the rest because of it's ability to let the vocals take charge. The melody makes it sound like an R&B song from another planet. "How Can U Luv Me", another highlight, is an upbeat yet confessional 70s style jam that contains clever lyrics like "How can you love me / When you don't like me, baby / How can you look at me / And not see I'm lonely". Elsewhere, the stuttering beat and funky rhythm of "Strangers are Strange" makes you want to stop what your doing and dance awkwardly around the room. They also have some entertaining music videos that fit perfectly with their lighthearted sound. Don't hesitate on this release like I did!









No comments:

Post a Comment