Monday, November 16, 2009

David Cross at the Wilbur Theatre


On Monday October 19, 2009 I had a chance to see David Cross, one of the greatest comedic minds of our generation, at the Wilbur Theatre in Boston, MA. For those who were wondering: Yes, the Wilbur is finally selling booze. Cross was featured on Mr. Show, the greatest sketch show of all time, and also played Dr. Tobias Funke on Arrested Development. The tour was to promote his new book of essays, I Drink for a Reason, and was also to be taped for a comedy special which I could only imagine HBO would be able to air. He performed for about 2 hours and the material lampooned everything from heroin junkies to the health care bill. In typical Cross fashion, his wry observations on life were as insightful as they were ridiculous. It would spoil most of the material if I described it in detail here but it was about as good as comedy gets. One anecdote even had him claiming to have snorted coke 40 feet away from the President. He also showed a five-minute clip of a new show that's going to be aired on the BBC called The Increasing Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. It had a lot of potential and it is a shame that it won't be played in the United States for awhile. The show featured Cross's fellow Arrested Development cast member Will Arnett, which only added to its promise. I purchased I Drink for a Reason but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. The guy's a genius so I'm sure I'll find much to enjoy within its pages. If you need further proof, below are two classic skits from Mr. Show.

Mr. Show – "Pre-taped Call-in Talk Show"


Mr. Show – "The Audition"

No comments:

Post a Comment