Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gypsy from NEPA



It's not often I hear a group from Northeastern Pennsylvania, where I grew up, that is able to make an immediate impact on me but that's exactly what happened when I heard Gypsy. The band comes from Wilkes-Barre, PA and features members of Cold World, Blacklisted, Bad Seed, and Let Down. Their self-titled 2 song release features brash guitar rock that presents a distinctive 90s influence. "Relatively Distant" has the abrasive ringing guitar tones that were prevailing on Jawbreaker's seminal album 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. "Skeleton Parade" utilizes the sound of bands like Dinosaur Jr. to create an anthem complete with sing-along lyrics and a soaring guitar solo. This is a very mysterious release since I couldn't find any press or even a myspace for the band. I am really looking forward to hearing more about and from this band in the near future as they make a great addition to the NEPA scene. You can find the single at the link below. If you like what you hear, pick up the self-titled 7" from Six Feet Under Records which is a label out of Beverly, MA that has pressed some excellent albums.

DOWNLOAD

No comments:

Post a Comment