Friday, June 29, 2012

Stream/Download: Habitat - Habitat


The night of May 30th, there were too many great shows in Boston to choose just one. After watching Speedy Ortiz mesmerize the crowd at O'Brien's Pub for their release show, I decided to make my way to a basement show where Fat History Month were playing. When I arrived, I was greeted by the upbeat experimental pop from New Orleans' Habitat. I was instantly captivated by the band, which is a three piece ensemble comprised of Jack Donovan (guitar/vocals), Andrew Landry (guitar), and Evan Cvitanovic (drums). The crowd was already dancing away to the jazzy, intricate rock spewing from their amps. The two guitarists created a flurry of sixteenth notes playfully bouncing off one another. The calculated aspect of their music reminded me of early Maps & Atlases or UK math rock darlings Foals with a punk edge. Habitat's debut EP is available for free at their bandcamp and it is one of the year's more addicting releases. After the instrumental "Miracle of Deafness", "Broke My Home" demonstrates their unique and catchy style with guitars and cymbals crashing together beautifully. The anthemic closer "All Along We Used to Know" is one of my favorites of the year. The song starts with a guitar line that rings gently until the band switches gears and kicks into a galloping rhythm with plenty of fretboard aerobatics. Here's to hoping we get more of this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment